Friday, February 24, 2012

Classic Southern Desserts: All-Time Favorite Recipes for Cakes, Cookies, Pies, Puddings, Cobblers, Ice Cream & More

This cookbook is gorgeous, but it relies WAY too much on box mixes and pre-packaged crusts. I was incredibly disappointed when I started reading the recipes and kept spotting ones that called for packaged-this or packaged-that. philly cream cheese cake recipes

I don't understand the point of recipes that just ask you to combine box cake mixes with boxed pudding mixes and food coloring; those belong on the back of a manufacturer's box, NOT in a cookbooks.

This country relies far too much on so-called "convenience foods." Is it really that difficult to measure out a few cups of flour or a teaspoon or so of baking powder? This was not at all what I was expecting from a book about classic southern baking. Fortunately, there are some recipes that are completely from scratch in here, I just wish the whole book was this way.

The images here are lovely and they were enough to serve as inspiration for me to create my own recipes, but this is not a book that I would really recommend to any of my serious baker friends or readers.

More details at Classic Southern Desserts: All-Time Favorite Recipes for Cakes, Cookies, Pies, Puddings, Cobblers, Ice Cream & More

No comments:

Post a Comment